Wednesday, June 22, 2016

I Feel Like a Dip

So….I went to Kroger hungry. I know better. All I needed was a loaf of bread for my toast the next morning but my grilled chicken salad that I had had for dinner was a bit small and I had been running errands and a few hours had passed . I was hongry ! I walked into Kroger with the best of intentions and did my usual fast-walk to the nearest restroom. On the way, I passed the cauliflower, which for some reason, was calling my name. I didn’t even know cauliflower knew my name. I had a flashback of seeing roasted parmesan cauliflower bites on some Facebook unsolicited ad. It’s all I could think about, other than getting to the restroom.
Well, I went back and grabbed that cauliflower and made my way over to the bread aisle. On the way, I passed the international section and a can of fat free refried beans called out for me to buy it, Hey amigo!” I had a flashback from two years ago when I made bean dip and decided it was time to give it another go. As I rounded the next corner, I noticed a sale display in an end unit freezer. I stopped, growing hungrier by the aisle, and ended up wondering down the aisle beside it that was featuring frozen breakfast sandwiches. That still sounds gross, even just typing it, but they were made my Lean Cuisine , so I was basically investing in a weight loss plan for better health, in one purchase. I got two boxes. I was so excited about my new healthy fast food find inside a grocery store, that I went ahead and got in line to pay. I completely forgot about the bread. I walked out of Kroger with two boxes of healthy, frozen turkey sausage/egg white sliders, a giant head of cauliflower and a can of fat free refried beans. I am a power shopper.
I got home and immediately attacked the cauliflower, no recipe needed, and cooked it . It smelled heavenly. Twenty minutes later, I was watching The Walking Dead and eating cauliflower…not the best combo in the world. Before I knew it, I was viewing the final scene, watching one of my favorite characters look as if he was being eating alive by zombies (those zombies don’t know it but they are going to be hungry again in an hour) and all my cauliflower was gone. How did I fit an entire head of cauliflower inside of me? I mean seriously. I had just twenty minutes earlier been holding it in my hands. It was deeelish but, I’m not going to be craving cauliflower for a while.
The next morning, after eating my rubber breakfast sandwich, I went ahead and made the bean dip in a large Pyrex bowl, to save for later that night. Well that night, I got all fired up to try it and got it out of the fridge. I sat the large Pyrex bowl down on the counter and got out a cereal bowl to dish a little out. I sat there and looked at that Pyrex bowl, then looked at the cereal bowl, then back at the Pyrex bowl and I had to just stop and ask myself, “Who am I kidding?” I put the cereal bowl away stuck the entire Pyrex bowl in the microwave. I grabbed the piping hot casserole dish of bean dip, a bag of Tostitos scoops and settled down in front of the TV. I had somehow accidentally recorded Dancing with the Stars, and before I knew it, someone was being voted off and the bean dip was gone…it was delicious.
I have got to stop these after dinner ….dinners. What is the deal? Is it the cold weather? Also, when will I learn not to go to Kroger after dinner on an empty ….with a hungry brain (they say it takes 20 minutes for the stomach to tell the brain it’s full)? All I know is that if I kept my pantry stocked and knew how to cook, I would be in trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment